Monday 30 April 2012

No more business cards?

When is the last time you USED a business card? Today I needed to call a new client and what did I do? Did I dig past the Snickers bars, McChicken sauce packets, stamps and ratchet sockets (don't ask) in  Truck Norris' center console to find the business card she gave me on our first meeting?

Nope, I immediately turned to my iphone yellow pages app. Google is usually my starting point, so I can get to the website or email address but this time I needed to call her like an adult.After I call someone the first time, I always save the contact info in my contacts but for an initial call - google it is. (*Side note - why are phone books still printed?*)

Am I alone in this? Do you keep a rolodex (or whatever card filing system you use) handy? Do you always turn to a business card first?

Do you have a system you utilize after networking events to capture business card info? I do. Ha! After the previous paragraphs you expected me to say no, didn't you? I actually have a really good system (spreadsheet) where I enter names, contact info, industry and relevant keywords so they are searchable when I need them down the road.

Alas, when I am driving (ahem...when I am not near my laptop) I still need to access this information sometimes. The Dropbox app on my iphone works great,but takes far more steps than google does.

What are your thoughts - do you really USE a business card or do you just politely collect them and then carelessly toss them into your own vehicle console or briefcase amidst candy, receipts and travel-sized deodorant?


5 comments:

  1. You almost lost me at "Snickers". I usually politely take a business card - but then sometimes enter the contact information into my Iphone. I hear there is an APP whereby you take a photo of the business card and it automatically enters the information into your contacts for you. I have not been that ambitious. I have business cards - I thought that is what you were supposed to do first, when you have a business. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an app that does the same thing - CardMunch and it's great as long as you use it. Don't get me wrong, I also have (and hand out) business cards, but I can't help but feel they will eventually be obsolete and we will just be able to scan the info directly from phone to phone or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until I started my last job I had never been exposed to the problem of what to do with business cards. Before that I normally just held into them until I had either called the person or decided that I didn't need the card anymore. Now I have a little leather portfolio that holds three cards a page. I'm very good about putting the cards in there but I find that I rarely go back to access the information. Google is faster and easier than flipping through page after page of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cardmunch - that's the app I was going to suggest! I use it and love it!

    Google is certainly the way to go, and Social Media can help that a LOT! I'm with Nerds On Site. Having a unique name helps, but so does using the right keywords, such as 'computer repair Leduc'. Having a mobile site is also key these days! I use SimpleMobileSites.com.

    - Kevin Lloyd, Nerds On Site

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still use cards and also use CardMunch, almost religiously. It's interesting, that while CardMuch is a really nice implementation of the technology, it only works if you use a business card.

    I think a really nicely designed QR pin is the best solution.

    I have a couple different 'bump' apps, but have only a met a couple people in the past five years that used that tech.

    ReplyDelete